PS5 Backwards Compatible Accessories: PS4 Controllers Will Be Supported, But Not For Next-Gen Games
With the PlayStation 5 just around the corner, Sony has detailed how peripherals will work on the next-gen console. While some existing PS4 peripherals will be usable on PS5, your likely main point of interface–the DualShock 4 controller–will not make the jump.
In a post on the PlayStation Blog, Sony explained that PS5 games will not be compatible with the DualShock, because it feels that the games “should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.”
The PS4 DualShock and licensed third-party controllers will work with supported PS4 games on PS5.
There will be some accessories that do work across generations, however. The PlayStation Camera will work for PS VR supported games, with an adapter that will be offered free to PS VR users. Similarly, PS Move controllers and the PS VR Aim controller will work with VR games on PS5. The blog also states that specialty peripherals like licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks will also work, along with Platinum and Gold wireless headsets, and any third-party headsets that connect via USB or audio jack.
Microsoft’s next-gen console, the Xbox Series X, will also sport a new controller, but you don’t necessarily need one. Microsoft has already announced that Xbox One controllers will be compatible with Xbox Series X.
PS5 Accessory Compatibility
- PS4 DualShock controllers (supported PS4 games only)
- Licensed third-party PS4 controllers (supported PS4 games only)
- Specialty peripherals (licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, flight sticks)
- Platinum and Gold wireless headsets
- Third-party headsets with USB or audio jack (no headset companion app)
- PS Move and PS Aim controllers (for PS VR)
- PlayStation Camera (for PS VR)
PS5 And PS4 News And Announcements
- PS5 Games Can't Be Played With PS4 Controller, But Here's What Accessories Are Supported
- Sony Hosting New State Of Play This Week, But Don't Expect PS5 News
- PS5 Reveal Event: All Games And Console Details Announced
- All The PlayStation 5 Games Confirmed (And Expected) So Far
- PS5 Pre-Order Guide: Retail Listings, DualSense Controller Info, And More
Source: Read Full Article